Who’s Responsible for Work-Related Accidents when Self-Employed?

Are you self-employed? Have you ever stopped to consider who would be responsible for covering your medical expenses if you were hurt during a work-related accident?

Currently, in the United Kingdom, there are more than a million workers living on reduced incomes or with no income at all as a result of a work-related illness or injury. The is a small number when compared to the twenty million, or more, workers who will miss multiple days of work because of such an accident this year. More than 2,500 people have died due to asbestos exposure, and more than one hundred will be killed on the job this year. When put into perspective, the chances of being harmed on the job are substantial.

As a self-employed person, you do take on some of the associated risk, but not all of it. RIDDOR, the reporting of injuries, diseases, and dangerous occurrences regulations, is important for the maintaining of job place safety. Nevertheless, there are millions of accidents reported each year. Employers are required to report and work-related deaths or any incidents that resulted in injury or illness. As a self-employed individual, there is no employer processing that report for you. However, if you are injured on another entity’s premises as a result of your work, the person in charge of that premises will be required to file the report for you.

If you were exposed to unsafe working conditions, even if you are not formally employed by the company, you may have a legitimate claim against the entity responsible for the premises. It will be important to speak to a lawyer to determine where the fault really lies. A legal professional can help you collect evidence and present a worthwhile claim against the negligent party, so that you may collect monetary compensation for the damages suffered.

Can I Claim Compensation For An Accident at Work?

When an accident happens at work, the complications can seem overwhelming. To not only be forced to deal with pain and medical expenses but also paperwork and claims seems almost cruel. UK employers have certain legal responsibilities to their employees so compensation may at least take care of the costs associated with a workplace injury.

These responsibilities extend to all sorts of employees. It does not matter if you work part time, full time, on a zero hours contract or if you are on the premises but not working at the time of the accident. You may still qualify for compensation in these circumstances.

In some circumstances, the employer may be insured against losses in this type of case. If the employer is found liable for the accident, their insurance policy or policies may cover the costs. The various rules and laws regarding liability are quite complex. However, most of them establish the duties an employer owes to the employees. These duties are set up to protect the employee from dangerous conditions. The meeting of them (or failure to meet them) helps determine the employer’s liability in the case of an accident or injury.

The numerous regulations cover many job site factors that can contribute to injuries. Here are a just few of the items covered in the laws regarding the workplace:

  • Safety equipment
  • Emergency exits
  • Fire detection
  • First aid equipment
  • Maintenance of the workplace and equipment
  • Ventilation and temperature
  • Cleanliness
  • Sanitation and washroom facilities
  • Drinking water


As you can see, employers carry a great deal of responsibility for the safety of their workers. Even visitors who are not employed by the company may be covered under these laws. If you have a legitimate injury on the job, those laws will help to provide compensation so that you are not left to bear the burden of your medical bills all on your own. An legal expert can help you sort out the details of a workplace injury.